** Sagar Sandesh print version ceases to be published from December 31, 2017. New look E-paper would be available from Jan. 1, 2018 onwards. free of cost.**

Pradhan to flag off UAE carrier with 2 million barrels of crude oil

India’s strategic oil reserves are set to be used by a foreign player for the first time, with a carrier of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (Adnoc) likely to reach Mangalore port by May 21.

  Petroleum  Minister Dharmendra Pradhan along with Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (Adnoc) CEO Dr Sultan Al Jaber flagged off the first consignment of Adnoc crude that will be stored in India’s Strategic Petroleum Reserves at Mangalore.

According to a tweet by Pradhan on Saturday 12 May 2018, 2 million barrels of crude from Abu Dhabi has set sail for India’s Strategic Petroleum Reserves (SPR). 

"The vessel ‘New Inspiration’ carrying 2 million barrels of crude for Mangalore cavern to build India’s emergency stockpile is a true inspiration for enhanced energy engagements between the two countries,” Pradhan tweeted, according to a local media report.

He also said, “India looks towards UAE as a preferred partner in further developing oil & gas infrastructure in the country. Ease of doing business, opening up of Indian E&P sector due to policy reforms & a stable govt. makes India a profitable investment destination in the oil & gas sector.” 

Adnoc is expected to store crude oil worth Rs 40-50 billion, based on prices in February, when the deal was signed. The company had signed a contract with the government to fill 0.75 million tonnes (mt) of space in the Mangalore strategic oil reserves cavern. 

Other global majors, including Kuwait Petroleum Corp, had also shown interest in investing in the country’s strategic caverns. “Adnoc will fill one of the two compartments of the cavern, while oil marketing companies will use the second compartment,” an official close to the development added. 

India has three underground rock caverns at Visakhapattanam, Mangalore and Padur with oil storage capacity of 1.33 mt, 1.5 mt and 2.5 mt, respectively.

Pradhan to flag off UAE carrier with 2 million barrels of crude oil today.

Strategic reserves were conceptualised to be used in case of volatility in the international market. At present, India has overall oil storage capacity of 66 days, and the strategic reserves will add another 10 days. The second set of strategic caverns is being planned at Chandikhol in Odisha and through an extension at Padur. “The Cabinet is likely to clear the second phase of the project soon,” he added.

The project is being implemented by a special purpose vehicle, Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserves Ltd. It is in talks with private players and global firms for participation in the second phase.

At present, India has an overall refining capacity of 247.6 mt, which is expected to rise to 414.35 mt by 2025. The country is the third-largest consumer of crude oil, and 80 per cent of its energy requirements are met through imports. According to the deal, India will have 65 per cent right over the crude oil that Adnoc will store in Mangalore, while the foreign company will be allowed to use the remaining 35 per cent for commercial purposes.

 


Disclaimer
Copyright © 2018 PORT TO PORT - Shipping Services Portal ( Sagar Sandesh ). All rights reserved.

Follow Us